First Baptist Church of Morris will celebrate its 60th Anniversary with a Special Service and events April 26. The celebration begins at 9:00 a.m. with a Coffee Fellowship, followed by a 9:45 a.m. Slideshow & Testimony Hour and Morning Worship Service at 11:00 a.m. A lasagna dinner will begin at noon. An Afternoon Worship Service will be held at 1:00 p.m. All events are open to the public.
First Baptist Church of Morris dates back to April 19, 1955, when forty-four members gathered at a meeting in the Baptist Hall at the La Grande Hotel. A baptismal service held in Artichoke Lake Baptist Church on Easter Sunday had ten persons becoming charter members. On May 10, 1955, 19 people met to incorporate under Minnesota Laws and become affiliated with the Conservative Baptist Association of America and Minnesota. Pastor Harold Reemtsma of Northwestern College was called as the first full-time pastor on July 1, 1956.
In March of 1960 the church broke ground for the construction of a basement auditorium. The basement was roofed over and used for worship and for Sunday School. They dedicated it on Sunday, February 12, 1961. The upper structure of the church was begun in January of 1972 under the leadership of Rev. Curly Werth. Services were first held on December 17, 1972, with a formal dedication and open house held on January 14, 1973. Most of the work was done by the pastor and faithful members and friends.
The First Baptist Church of Morris is an independent Bible preaching church, desiring to continue in “Holding forth the word of life” Philippians 2:16. Pastor Micah J. Tanis is the current pastor at First Baptist. Visit www.morrisfbc.org or call (320) 589-4163 for more information about the church and its anniversary celebration.